Review: City of Bones

City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1)
Title: City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments Book One)
Author: Cassandra Clare
Summary:
When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder -- much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing -- not even a smear of blood -- to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?

This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know. . . . 

Exotic and gritty, exhilarating and utterly gripping, Cassandra Clare's ferociously entertaining fantasy takes readers on a wild ride that they will never want to end.
Review:
SO… Im SO glad I finally read this book! Everyone that’s raving about it is SO right!
Cassandra Clare is an amazing author who truly makes her worlds believable! So… I know some people say this story is a lot like other stories combined and maybe there are similarities… BUT there are similarities in EVERY book. AND- as I was reading it, I didn’t feel like it was unoriginal. I thought it was actually awesome.
The story starts with Clary being attacked by a demon, and then her mother going missing, and she is left with a group of Shadowhunters trying to explain what the world is really like. A shadowhunter is basically a human with angel magic that kills demons and bad Downworlders (like Fairies, vampires and werewolves)
As you can tell, this book has everything in it. Its not a fairy book, or a vampire/werewolf book, or even a fallen angel/nephilim book. Its everything combined. And you might think that would make it confusing, but its not. Its perfect.
There is nonstop action as Clary tries to find and save her mother. Romance between Jace and Clary, and even kind of Simon- her mundane (normal human) friend.
I didn’t really like the twist at the end… because I like happy endings. BUT it did make it interesting and I have the second book ready, so I can figure out where the story goes!
I like that there wasn’t a HUGE cliffhanger, though not everything was finished, so there is absolutely a story that continues.
The characters felt so real, though I will say they all felt and acted much older than 16 or 17 years old.
Clary was strong and unwavering in her fight to save her mother. I would have liked to see some relationship between them, but since the mother was taken at the beginning of the novel, we didn’t get a chance. Still you can understand a childs love for her mother.  She was smart and witty and at time I laughed out loud at hers and Jace’s banter.
Jace was an interesting character. You immediately felt for him, the young killer, who was raised by a sadistic and cruel man. Someone who had lost everything he loved and enjoyed.
I really don’t have any negative about this book at all! And I cannot wait to read the rest of the story.
Rating: 5 stars

Dont forget to enter my first giveaway, it ends SEPT 5!

Comments

  1. Great review! I'm so happy you decided to read this book and LOVED it! I'm a huge fan of this series and after you catch up with this maybe you should give her prequel series The Infernal Devices a chance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ive heard a lot about the Infernal Devices... BUT I didnt know it was a prequel series! That makes me want to read them EVEN more!!! :)

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad that you liked this, Theresa! You should definitely read The Infernal Devices- those books take place in Victorian England. I love that time period, so once you add in the Shadowhunters, this series is just perfection to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. See, I'm still debating how much I like this book. Perhaps because everybody loved it so much, my expectations were sky high and it somehow didn't meet them all.

    Now I go in to read without expecting too much and enjoy the book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great series although I hated the ending. It was unnecessary even though you know it will be false. I love Simon and Jace. I like that there is a little bit of all the paranormal creatures and it does feel unique. I have been stalking all the filming of this movie. I'm so excited!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How nice that you enjoyed it! :) I can't wait for the movie, even if I wasn't that happy with some of the character choices... but I'd watch anything with Sheehan. LOL.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you SO much for visiting my site!
-Theresa

*I LOVE BOOKS!*

Popular posts from this blog

Instagram + Giveaway

My First GUEST POST

My first Guest Post!!!