Review: Crossed



Title: Crossed (Matched #2)
Author: Ally Condie

Summary:
Rules Are Different Outside The Society.
Chasing down an uncertain future, Cassia makes her way to the Outer Provinces in pursuit of Ky–taken by the Society to his sure death–only to find that he has escaped into the majestic, but treacherous, canyons. On this wild frontier are glimmers of a different life and the enthralling promise of a rebellion. But even as Cassia sacrifices every thing to reunite with Ky, ingenious surprises from Xander may change the game once again.
Narrated from both Cassia’s and Ky’s point of view, this hotly anticipated sequel to Matched will take them both to the edge of Society, where nothing is as expected and crosses and double crosses make their path more twisted than ever.

Review:
So… as I was reading this book, I was amazed by how slow it felt. Nothing huge ever happened. There was no climax. They were travelling alone, in the outer provinces… to what? Find each other. Well they found each other in the middle of the book… so where is the climax?
I will say, that the book did get better once they found each other. You found out some things about each of them, Ky and Cassia, and even Xander (who makes a brief appearance)
There are new characters, Indie, Hunter towards the end, and Eli. I liked Indie at first, and I guess if you lived like she did you might be like her, but by the end of the book I had decided I didn’t like her.
I was bothered that Ky and Cassia sound the same, as you are reading. Neither of them have their own voice... they have the same thoughts and emotions, or lack thereof. I found myself often having to go back to the beginning of many chapters to see if it was Ky’s or Cassia’s POV.
I still feel like I couldn’t feel many of their emotions, they have no unique voice. Which is very bothersome.
I thought, at the end of Matched, that I was all for Ky (because I liked HIM- not his relationship with Cassia) but I think now im leaning more towards Xander, even though he was barely in this book.
I want to mention that I really am impressed with the world building. I could really see what being in the Society was like, I felt the control (from the first book, Matched) I felt how it was then. And in this book, I can feel what its like, in the caverns and caves, on the river, and in the township. I could see it all. And that’s really impressive.
We also got a little more back story in this book, about WHY the Society came to be and how it got so powerful.  So that was good.
I also want to mention that I LOVE these covers!! The first, with the girl in the bubble was perfect, then this one with the girl breaking out. And the third with the bubble busted open and the girl standing tall. LOVE LOVE LOVE these Covers!!!
Overall- I was a little disappointed in the story as a whole. I am constantly comparing it to the other dystopian novels I have read, and I just feel like it isn’t up to par.
Don’t get me wrong, it’s a good book and a good story. Just not great. I will read the last book… but Im not dying to get my hands on it or anything. It doesn’t faze me that ill have to wait a while for it.
Rating: 3 stars

Comments

  1. Enjoyed reading your review! I read MATCHED but I haven't read CROSSED yet. I haven't read many books that make me want to read a sequel, however; I prefer stand-alone books (yes, I'm weird). Anyway, I agree that the covers are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that CROSSSED feel a bit flat. The duel narrator didn't feel special, and their journey through the setting felt a little...wrong. Probably because all the grit have been washed out of the narration.

    But regardless, the covers are cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I just read your comment HERE and sorry for the late reply(Blogger doesn't give notifications for new comments). I had to read this and well, I totally understand your review! <3

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you SO much for visiting my site!
-Theresa

*I LOVE BOOKS!*

Popular posts from this blog

Instagram + Giveaway

My First GUEST POST

My first Guest Post!!!